About the Program
The Summer Garden Internship is a three-week long program for students over the age of 18 interested in environmental care. This opportunity provides hands-on experience to care for the earth, through service at Redeemer Valley Garden, a ministry of the Sisters of the Redeemer. The internship focuses on service within the local community and the teaching of sustainable growing practices with the option to complete a project of one’s choosing. Interns live together in community sharing meals and prayer throughout the week. We hope volunteers will leave this experience inspired to be change agents and stewards of our shared creation. We accept up to five volunteers in total.
Redeemer Valley Garden is located in Huntingdon Valley, PA and provides individual plots and a large community supported garden. The garden is also home to God’s beautiful creatures, wild and domestic!
For questions, please feel free to contact Lisa Mehalick, Director at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 215-914-4116.
What Will A Volunteer Do?
- Daily Garden Care: planting, weeding, watering, harvesting
- Greenhouse Management
- Farmer’s Markets: coordinating, harvest, set up, sales
- School Garden Assistance
- Animal Care: cleaning, feeding, health maintenance
- Milking Goats and Making Cheese and Soap
- Food Cupboard Liaison: coordinate crop picking and prep for Food Cupboard pickup
Benefits and Cost
The greatest benefit of serving at Redeemer Valley Garden is knowing you are benefiting the earth through sustainable practices and contributing to the common good by sharing your gifts to help provide healthy food for the local community.
Beyond that, benefits for volunteers include:
- An educational, challenging and rewarding experience that allows you to use your gifts and talents for the greater good, build meaningful relationships, and connect with God’s gift of creation.
- Opportunity to implement a project of your choosing to benefit the work of the garden.
- Room & Board
The participation cost for the Summer Garden Internship is $325. This helps to cover the cost of room and board in addition to activities that will take place over the course of the three weeks. If for any reason you are unable to meet the cost of the Summer Garden Internship, financial assistance can be provided. We do not want anyone’s financial situation to keep them from participating in the program. There is always the option to fundraise for one’s length of service.
- April 1st – Applications due
- Phone or Skype interviews will take place once application, references and reflection questions are received
- May 1st – Acceptance letters released
Internship Dates (tentative, based on applicants availability):
Possible dates include:
- May 28-June 17 OR
- June 24- July 14
Click here if you are ready to apply!